Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas in Germany


Wow! Christmas in Germany makes me feel like I'm living in an enchanted fairy tale. It is fridgedly cold, the ground is covered in white powder, and every main street is filled with holiday markets full of Gluewein (hot wine), brautwurst and sweets. Most every house is decorated in delicate, beautiful lights and stars. Many of the decorations remind me of my childhood at teh Waldorf Schule...school.

Picture is from the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall
event at the Brandendburger Tuer. We are standing in front of the fallen "Dominoes". I am standing with two coworkers...Lilit from Armania and Maria from Italy.

I went for a jog yesterday through the snow. I live near the Neue Garten park and the famous Holy Lake. As I jogged along, I looked to the right and passed the last castle that was built in Germany. To the left, I saw the bridge that seperated the GDR (east) from Western Germany. At the halfway mark, Soviet and American troops would pass back and forth between the east and west. The Berlin Wall once stood along the trail that I ran. My roomate who grew up in the house I am living in, and told me that he used to pass through the guards and walk along tanks and barbed wire to enter the city center for groceries.


I will be here alone for Christmas, but on the 29th will fly to Edinburgh, Scotland to visit my dear friend Angela. After I return I will work four days and then fly to Paris for a weekend. Life is rough!

No comments:

Post a Comment