Saturday, August 15, 2009

hard times

The last couple days have been pretty rough. After a wonderful visit to Berlin on Thursday, I decided that I would much rather live in Berlin and commute to Brandenburg. Unfortunately, I had made an oral agreement with a woman in Brandenburg regarding an apartment. She had already put money into installing a kitchen with the understanding that I was moving in. I had thought that she would wait until I signed a lease. Now I am stuck in this moral predicament and feel that I need to take the apartment for the 6 months of the lease. Furthermore, I made this woman very angry because she had bent over backward to help me with the apartment among other things. I feel terrible, but life changes and I need to be true to my own thoughts and feelings. Now I am still stuck with living in Brandenburg and these people are angry with me!

I am still ironing out the kinks in my contract and I meet with the president of the marketing department at 1 pm today. He is a very intimidating guy to speak with and I am a little nervous about negotiating a contract with this man. All part of growing up I suppose!

To top off my last couple of days, I had to do a wire transfer of funds from the US into my new German bank account. The dollar is very weak right now and it costs about $1.49 for 1 Euro, not including the $35 wire transfer fee. I picked a hard time to transfer money, but didn't have much of a choice in the matter. Uhg

...3 hours later...

This situation is looking up. the landlord has agreed to have me stay for only 3 months rather than 6months. 3 months seems much less overwhelming. The downside is that there is no use purchasing things to make myself comfortable. I may be living like a nun until I move into Berlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment