Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Week 2

I don't have much to tell this week. I went out and about on the town with a girl named Antje who I met on couchsurfing.com. She took me around town and showed me where to shop and get good coffee etc. It was nice to chat with someone my own age.

I found an apartment, but it is not available until September 1st. I am couchsurfing until then. The apartment is on the top level (no elevator) of an old but recently remodeled building near the Fochochschule (Vocational College). There are lots of young people that live in the area and it's only a 30 minute walk to work. It is going to be rough in winter, but I might be able to figure out the tram system by then. The apartment has an entry room, bedroom, kitchen, bath and living room. This is considered a 2 room apartment! I am renting this for 375 Euros per month plus the cost of Electricity (30 Euros per month) and phone/internet (35 Euros per month). This is not too bad all things considered. I even have a neighbor that wants to learn better English and will trade me language lessons in German.

I went around with my future landlord and found some furniture and lighting for my new apartment. Most everything here is particle board that comes in a box for post purchase assembly. Most people rent small apartments in old buildings where it is difficult to get furniture in and out of. IKEA is big here since it is designed to maximize space. Everything is uber small here. Apartments come with mini fridges and washing machines are smaller than a dishwasher.

I also met a very nice woman who moved from Hawaii to Germany in 1993. She is married to a German Attorney and is very wealthy for the area. She has offered me all sorts of furnishings and linens for my apartment. The few Americans I have met here are very helpful and supportive. I have met 6 to be exact!

About 95% of the cars I have seen here have been hatchbacks. I assume that this is because they are useful for transportation of goods.

I start work on Monday and I am actually looking forward to it. I have had more time on my hands than I know what to do with. I still need to settle some issues with my contract and then I am set. I will probably try to take a trip to Berlin for the weekend.

Tsuss!

1 comment: