Saturday, August 29, 2009

Berlin!











Oh how I love Berlin. It is by far the most beautiful city I have ever seen. I am not much for big city life, but this is a city I can see myself living in. The streets are clean and the air is clean. Most people ride a bicycle, walk or take public transport. The excitement is always lingering in the air and I feel so alive. The culture is rich and the history is deep. I find reminders of war and suffering all over the city, yet somehow everyone is happy and I find nothing but positive energy everywhere I go.

I have spent many days in Berlin. One day was spent in museums looking at artwork from the Baroque and renaissance periods, ancient Egyptian artifacts and even The Temple of Athena that is housed at the Pergamon Museum. Another day was spent at the Salvador Dali exhibit. Of course, his best works are in Spain, but it was inspiring and interesting to stand not a foot from his original pieces that did not even hang behind glass. I thought a great deal about my brother on these days in the museums. He loves both history and art and I hope that someday he too can enjoy these splendors.

Last Sunday I made my way around Berlin on foot as usual. There were many people visiting for a huge track and field event. There were concerts and live TV shows being held under the Brandenburg Tur. Beer gardens and food venders lined the "Unter den Linden" street and people buzzed around everywhere. I made my way toward Humboldt University and found another free concert in a park. I was tired and hungry and decided to grab myself a pretzel, take off my shoes and lay in the grass. It was such a delight to lie there amongst a couple hundred people doing the same thing. Children ran around dancing and jumping in the fountain, buck naked in the middle of a public park. You would never see something like that in the states.

1 comment:

  1. Sound as though all is settling in nicely! Glad you are liking your job---bet you're glad to be happy in that department.
    Mag

    ReplyDelete